Sunday, 16 November 2008

Have you met the Queen these days?


Last week the 10-year old daughter of a friend came by. She needed some quick fix before her next test in English at school.

The first lesson in her book was about London (who would have thought about it?). I should admit that I got emotional. London is one of my most favourite places on Earth - I loved living there and I still miss it. I must have mentioned something about it, because she opened BIG eyes and asked: "You've been in London! Did you see the Queen?"

Now, how do you explain to a 10-year-old in Germany that even if you would spend your lifetime in London, you're still not likely to be invited for a tee in Buckingham Palace?

I don't remember my exact answer, but I did drop something like: "I've heard that if you are very lucky and go in the right pub at the right time, you might meet Prince William and his friends."

She opened even bigger eyes: "Did you see Prince William?!?"

Here we go again...

However, there was a picture of the waxwork of Lady Diana from Madam Tussaud's in the book. It reminded me of my childhood and how much I admired and respected Princess Diana's work as a messenger of peace.

I guess that was the reason why some days later, while trying to think of a nice name for an item in my shop that I like a lot, I spontaneously came up with "The Princess of Hearts" (it's a key ring with a filigree love heart element and amethyst, sodalite and rose quartz beads). Funnily enough, it took me quite a while before I figured it out that it was a phrase, used a lot from the press at the time.

It's amazing how bizarre the associations our mind creates could be.

1 comment:

vomFeental said...

The Princess of Hearts... that´s really the right name for this lovely key ring... :-)
Best regards
Iris